What do Shah Rukh Khan, Mark Zuckerberg and Satya Nadella have in common? Yes, they are all celebrities. But more importantly, their Celeb status has brought their Alma Mater into serious limelight. It is indisputable that Schools leave an indelible mark on a Student’s future. Some passively, many others more actively.
Your school can leverage its biggest asset, its Alumni for its own brand reinforcement in 3 simple steps.
1. Tracking your Alumni’s success:
As a school, your alumni hold as much importance (if not more) as your current students. So, just like your current students are taken care of, your alumni too needs your attention. Remember, they are the living proof of your School’s robust pedagogy and your vision brought to fruition.
You can track your alumni’s achievements and success through a comprehensive data management system (as shown below). Your school might have a Satya Nadella or a Dhivya Suryadevara in the making just like Hyderabad Public School, Begumpet does (the real Satya Nadella is an alumnus of HPS, of course!). It is crucial that you keep track of your alumni and map their achievements.
So, what can your School track about Alumni?
Well, there are a number of things which can be tracked to improve your alumni engagement levels.
- Academic Records and Transcripts
- College Details like applied to and enrolled in
- Scholarships received
- Course and Country details
- Employment details
- Notable awards and recognitions
Punya Sood from Saffron Public School, Phagwara (right) received a scholarship worth USD $ 68,000. The school has been tracking such meritorious students through its alumni management system. Thus, with a secure and comprehensive alumni management system, your school can be at the top of its alumni engagement game for years to come.
Want to build your school’s alumni brand?
2. Promoting your Alumni success stories by:
- Showcasing their achievements: Highlighting them on your school’s website through a dedicated feature on them. Oakridge International School, Hyderabad (below) takes their alumni seriously and regularly shares their feats on its homepage.
- Promotion: Mention them on your promotional materials like School brochures, billboards among other things. No one can actually convey the real benefits of being a part of your school better than your alumni. So let them do the talking!
Newsletter Coverage: Nostalgia is what drives alumni back to school and you can make it more powerful by featuring them in periodic newsletter releases. Some of the top schools of the country like the Doon School, Dehradun and Lawrence School, Sanawar feature their alumni’s latest achievements.
3. Inviting them as Contributors:
Your school can leverage on its alumni network as a source of motivation, guidance and interaction for the current student batch. Again, this activity can be conducted in a number of formats:
- TEDx event: By facilitating your alumni to share the coveted platform at the school/local chapter at a TEDx event, you can effectively increase your engagement levels. Schools like Doon, Eicher Public have been organizing local TEDx events where their alumni have spoken on a range of topics. This activity not only associates your school with a platform like TED but also leads to some quality alumni engagement.
Career Guidance session: Schools like Jodhamal Public School, Jammu have been inviting their alumni from all walks of life to guide their students on colleges and career decisions.
Divya Gupta, an alumnus of Jodhamal Public School, Jammu guiding her juniors on possible career options after taking up Biology.
- Video Series: Video is one of the most popular forms of content where the recipient has higher levels of attention span. This can actually work in your favour by featuring your alumni through actual video case studies and uncovering their success stories.
Sat Paul Mittal School, Ludhiana recently featured one of their alumnus, Mr. Kanav Jain for his feat in the IIT JEE examinations. He is shown here sharing his engineering preparation till his final selection at one of India’s premier engineering institutes, IISc Bangalore.
Kennedy said it the best!
Want to build your school’s alumni brand?
Email or Comment below to share with us what your School does differently & get featured on our Blog.