You are what you are because your teachers back in school believed in you.
From classrooms to seminars to internships to sports, and many more, the school was always instrumental in your career trajectory. Now that you’re basking the glory of your success, it’s time to take a trip down the memory lane and give it back to your school that made you what you are.
Few alumni heap hefty donations on the school and few indulge in service. Whatever side of the divide you fall on, the mere thought to take the plunge as an alumni speaks volumes about your initiative to make your school a better place to be.
Here are 5 ways in which you can extend the helping hand to your school without being lighter on your pocket.
- Be Proactive: Every organization thrives on new ideas and new initiatives the same goes for your school alumni network that has a pan nation presence. You can enroll in the alumni association local chapter and contribute some new ideas that may improve the activities. This is a great way to be a part of the club and also strengthen your profile with a strong network. If you have any qualms of not able to take up an active role, don’t worry. Participation is the key and it’s the start of a new journey to your alma mater.
- Rope in other alumni: One person can’t take up an entire load of alumni club. So you need many like-minded individuals to take the activities forward. Leverage your social media channels and friend networks to rope in more alumni to the network.
- Play the mentor: As an alumni, you can visit your alma mater and take mentorship sessions to your juniors. This helps them gain practical insights and also instills a guidance mechanism in the school. You can plan sessions on diverse topics and share your experiences that add value to their learning.
- The Unofficial Recruiter: Your school is a storehouse of talent. When it comes to picking the right talent for an internship, your school can double up as a recruitment ground. Many global universities are looking beyond academics and they appreciate a student profile with some internship experience. You can plan an internship for your juniors at school and increase their learning curve with real-world experience.
- The Art of Giving: They say charity begins at home and you can extend the thought and give something to your school. They can be books for your school library, gift vouchers from your brand or company, or any digital knowledge sessions that bring smiles on the faces of your juniors. The gift may or may not be tangible but can make a big difference to your school’s value system.
So, it’s time to pay it forward. Everything you give it back to your school it will fetch you in a long way. The smiles you add to your juniors speak volumes about your sense of belongingness to your school.
Paying it forward will connect you back to a powerful network, increase the value of your degree, and enhance the future of the next generation—and that is no small thing!